Forgive me, father. I have sinned. It has been 13 days since my last post.As of late, I have had my nose in Daniel. This week - chapter four. Here are couple of thoughts.
-----
I'll be the first to admit it...I get tired of testimonies. When sitting with some of the bruddas and sistas, my skin gets less than goosey at the "personal testimony" time. I've spent a few years (past) in environments where testimonies were the mainstay of encouragement; where faith was strengthened on the word of one who has been "saved." In theory, the personal testimony is a story of salvation. Of divine provision. Divine rescue. In practice, many personal testimonies are pools of self-pity, ungodly sorrow, and moments of glory in the flesh. It is not uncommon to hear testimonials as long as 30 minutes or more. Full-blown sermons. Sermons, which recount in haunting detail, sinful lifestyles, practices and abuses. And after this cake is baked, you get that sweet icing - "But God rescued me." That's it. I've heard it time and again. 30 minutes of Satan's kingdom and 3 seconds of God's rescue.
I am all for personal testimonies. They have their place...so long as they are just the seasoning on the steak. So long as they give more time to the salvation, provision and love of God. So long as they remember that it is disgraceful to "discuss the deeds done in darkness." The church should be infinitely more encouraged by the testimony of the Christ and His apostles and prophets.
Now that I am done ranting - I love 'Nezzar's testimony in Daniel 4.
King 'Nezzar was a great king. According to Daniel - a king of kings. One of whom all power and dominion had been given. He was a clever man, a great leader and a brilliant king. He was the head of gold in God's vision. But he was proud. Unimpressed (at least for too long) by Daniel's interpretations and Shadrach and co.'s escape from fire, he was driven to insanity. 7 years of alienation. 7 years of embarassment and grazing and dew-dampened clothing.
His testimony is one of the most moving and powerful testimonies in the Writings.
He begins with what should be the beginning of every man's testimony:
King Nebuchadnezzar, To the peoples, nations and men of every language, who live in all the world: It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me. How great are his signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an eternal kingdom; his dominion endures from generation to generation.
He ends with what should be the ending to every man's testimony:
At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever. All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?" At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.
Go back and read the whole chapter. Its a good one. The salvation of this great Babylonian undoubtedly had profound affect on the conquered world.
-----
If marching through Daniel is too much of a chore for you, :) check out "The Emporer's New Groove."

3 comments:
Thanks for the kind words, deleted or not. I got 'em.
Peace,
j
purely accidental. i did not mean to delete them forever. i wanted to edit something and next thing you know
"This post has been removed by the author"
popped up. talk about red-faced shame.
i wanted to share this link with you and your fellow cretans. just a few additional thoughts on nebu's conversion.
http://renovatio.blogspot.com/2005/09/pagan-orthodoxy.html.
Post a Comment